Two simple questions to test your battery knowledge... Answers appear at the bottom of this post.
- A car battery has three primary functions. What are they?
- Does a 12-volt battery have its six cells connected in series or in parallel?
First National Battery in South Africa (a subsidiary of Metair Investments Ltd) is now supplying Raylite batteries to Autoworld. Raylite batteries are the first choice among South African Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) including Mercedes Benz, Toyota, Nissan, GM SA, BMW, Volkswagen SA, Renault, Ford, Nissan Diesel and MAN.
Purchase your Raylite battery at a 15% discount for the next seven days! (Terms and conditions apply)
1) The three primary functions of a battery are:
- To supply power to the starter motor and ignition system
- To supply power when the alternator can not cope with the electrical demand from the car
- To act as a voltage stabiliser and protect voltage–sensitive loads from high-voltage pulses
2) The six cells are connected in series (to provide 12.6 volts).